Why? It has been about a month now since I (Dana) returned from Ghana and I’m full of the why question.
- Why do I still think of her?
- Why does her face still constantly fill my head?
- Why do I find myself wondering what and if she is eating?
- Why do I think of the awful water that she may still be drinking?
- Why do I think of where she sleeps as I lie my head down at night?
- Why do I want to send money?
- Why do I find myself reading scripture and wanting to share it with her?
- Why do I find myself praying for her as I go about my day?
- Why can’t I just forget?
Why can’t I just get back to the thoughts that filled my mind before I headed off to Africa? Those thoughts were easier for me to handle. These new thoughts are heart wrenching!
Why? Because I learned mission trips are not all about how we help those we go minister to, it is also about returning home to live changed lives that bring glory to God. I will never forget Naomi and I am excited for the day when we will live just a few miles apart. Although I am preparing to move to Africa, I will not forget the needs on the ground right here. As I look at where God has me now I don’t have to look far to see the needs of hunger and discipleship as they are all around me. The question is will I ignore the needs or put myself out there and get involved in peoples lives. After all, I am not sure how much more my heart can take, but I have no choice but to give it all away….